craftyaction

A blog for the Mt Lawley Stitch'n'Bitchers. If you're in Perth, WA, and you like to knit, crochet or just gossip— or if you want to learn how— come down to Exomod in Mt Lawley every Monday from 7.30pm and catch some crafty action! Email Clementine for more info: indienial (at) gmail (dot) com

Thursday, February 28, 2008

now we are knitting with mohair, and a commission

Hi all,
after the happy collection of the knitpicks order, I was gifted with a huge bag of seemingly discontinued yarns.
One of them was Sirdar's Kid Mohair in a pretty grey blue. Enough to make a jumper. anyone have any suggestions? the gauge is 23.5sts/10cm. Is that DK, 8ply or sport? or all 3? Any and all suggestions for knitting with mohair will be taken.


also, I was given a large amount of white cotton yarn. Would anyone be willing to knit little patrick a small white cotton jacket or cardigan out of this? For his baptism? I will pay for your time and effort. You would have a month and a half. I know that I would be unable to finish it.

just let me know.
thanks
michelle

9 Comments:

Blogger Furry with Ruffles said...

Michelle, of course my answer to your question involves another question - what size needles does the guage relate to? If in the range of 3.75 to 4mm then your mohair is going to be the 8ply, DK or light worsted kind. If however, the needle size is smaller (3 to 3.25mm) then sport, 4ply or fine is what you have.
Do you have a pattern for the cotton?

10:23 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

3.75mm for the mohair...so it is 8ply.

I don't have a pattern for the cotton but I can look one up. some of the cotton is your Paton's stone wash cotton! I don't think any of these yarns are still continued. I'll bring some samples on Monday
michelle

10:40 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

could make the one piece baby kimono from Mason-Dixon knitting. that calls for worsted and all this yarn is dk. I have the pattern. It would be boring as heck tho.
michelle

11:06 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

or the baby surprise jacket by elizabeth zimmerman, i have that one too. all garter stitch but would be fun to add a few stripes here and there
michelle

11:10 pm  
Blogger spider_knit said...

I suggest this for the mohair - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ink-flare

6:16 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like Ink Flare alot. Just afraid it will look a bit too maternal-like and since I am no longer pregnant, I don't care to look pregnant.
hmm, I really like the shape tho.
I've queued it and will think about it.
thanks SpiderkNit

9:21 am  
Blogger knitconvict said...

http://isobel.photos.me.uk/p47055704.html

Why make a sweater with your mohair? There are sooo many other options!

http://www.mohairknitter.com/

3:04 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

very noice, very unuuuusual.
michelle

3:22 pm  
Blogger Clementine said...

The Pea Pod baby jacket thingy is lovely... I think LupinBunny even has the pattern!

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home