craftyaction

A blog for the Mt Lawley Stitch'n'Bitchers. If you're in Perth, WA, and you like to knit, crochet or just gossip— or if you want to learn how— come down to Exomod in Mt Lawley every Monday from 7.30pm and catch some crafty action! Email Clementine for more info: indienial (at) gmail (dot) com

Monday, March 26, 2007

Why do I knit for birthdays?!

I so often decide to knit something for someone's birthday etc, then find I'm up against a deadline, miss the deadline, and have to show people their half finished birthday pressie.

I've got two on the go at the moment - lace socks for Lady (my grandmother, I've always called her Lady for some reason). They're nearly nearly finished, but her 78th birthday was on Saturday, so I had to show here the finished one sock and take it back.

The other thing is muuuch bigger, it's a Colinette bed sized throw for my Mum who will be 50 on Wednesday. I did most of it when I was living in Wales, but still need to finish the lace edging. Even though it's only eight stitches on 8 mm needles and I only need to do about 3 metres (it's a really open lace pattern) it's taking me forever! Part of the reason is that we've been living with Mum so I've had to keep it hidden, and now we've moved I keep trying to organise our flat rather than work on this. I really wanted to have a big tada moment with this but I think I'll be presenting something half finished again.Another one is a jumper for Andy, and because it has no deadline (except maybe winter?) it'll probably stay in it's half sewn up stage for awhile.

Next big project will be for me and me alone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

"why do i knit for birthdays?"
"... cos you're an idiot?"

I think I am channelling Winona Ryder from Heathers, sorry.

But I know what you mean. let this be a lesson: if you value timeliness of gifts, don't befriend crafty people.

4:30 pm  
Blogger jazzyknits said...

yes I know, I ask myself that very same question.. which reminds me I'd better start my niece's crochet wrap cardigan.. doh! Tis cool though, her b'day isn't til May 25, I have some time, but this means putting down knitting/crochet stuff for ME!! double doh!

9:24 am  
Blogger lupinbunny said...

you knit for birthdays because no matter what you knit your best friend will push every other gift aside, clutch yours (even though she secretly hates the colour, and never wears scarfs anyway), and tell everyone that you MADE her a gift...

well, that's what i get from the only person i knit for.

8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home